The Education for All – Fast Track Initiative (now: Global Partnership for Education) and the Millennium Development Goals 2 and 3 call for free, compulsory, and quality elementary education for all children and young people. However, according to the last UNESCO World Education Report (2013/14), 57 million children and young people worldwide still do not go to school, and some 774 million adults cannot read or write. The international community unanimously stated that inclusive education is a key strategy for bringing education to everyone (UNESCO, 1994, 2009).
The refie project aimed to advance our understanding of developing inclusive educational systems in developing countries in order to improve inclusive policy and practice in technical cooperation.
The overall guiding research questions were:
- How is the concept of inclusive education constructed at the different levels (macro, meso, micro) from various perspectives in Guatemala and Malawi?
- Which success factors of and barriers to inclusive educational systems can be identified in order to draw conclusions for further developing cooperation measures?
The here available report presents the findings of the project.
Only some of the pdfs are non-accessible. The executive summary is available as an accessible pdf and word file in English, Spanish and German. All other files will be provided in accessible versions as soon as possible.
Download the executive summary in
Full Report (accessible document)
- Content (pdf, 0.83 MB)
- Chapter 1: Background (pdf, 0.29 MB)
- Chapter 2: Research Design (pdf, 0.44 MB)
- Chapter 3: Country Studies
- Chapter 4: Discussion, Conclusions and Outlook (pdf, 0.42 MB)
- Chapter 5: References (pdf, 0.7 MB)
Chapter 6: Annex
- Annex 6.1: Interview and Discussion Guidelines - Malawi (pdf, 0.5 MB)
- Annex 6.2: Interview and Discussion Guidelines - Guatemala (not available in English - download Spanish version, pdf, 6.6 MB)
- Annex 6.3: Document Analysis - Malawi (pdf, 0.4 MB)
- Annex 6.4: Document Analysis - Guatemala (pdf, 2.3 MB)
6.5 Case Studies
- Malawi 1-EY (accessible pdf)
- Malawi 2 - MQ (accessible pdf)
- Malawi 3 - AL (accessible pdf)
- Malawi 4 - RM (accessible pdf)
- Guatemala 1; Spanish version (pdf, both accessible)
- Guatemala 2; Spanish version (pdf, both accessible)
- Guatemala 3; Spanish version (pdf, both accessible)
- Guatemala 4; Spanish version (pdf, both accessible)
- Guatemala 5; Spanish version (pdf, both accessible)
- Guatemala 6; spanish Version (pdf, both accessible)